Steam mussels in white wine and cream
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• 1 shallot, sliced
• 200g/7oz fresh mussels in shells, beards removed
• 50ml/2fl oz white wine
• 50ml/2fl oz double cream
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. For the mussels, heat the olive oil in a lidded saucepan over a medium heat. Add the garlic and shallots and sauté for two minutes, until softened.
2. Add the mussels and white wine, stir well and place the lid on. Allow the mussels to steam for 3-4 minutes, then remove the lid and check that all the mussels are cooked and have opened. Discard any that have not opened.
3. Remove the mussels from their shells and return the flesh to the pan, discarding the shells.
4. Add the double cream, fresh parsley, stir together and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. To serve, place into a large bowl.